The Various Processes Associated with an STD Testing for Men

The Various Processes Associated with an STD Testing for Men

First thing to mention is that STDs and STIs are the same thing, just two slightly different terms for the same issue. These terms are interchangeable so don’t worry if you see both being used.

For men who are sexually active, particularly those who have multiple partners, STD testing is an essential part of men’s health.

There are many different types of STD, including gonorrhoea, chlamydia, and syphilis. The key here is in the name, meaning that these diseases are almost exclusively passed on through sexual contact, whether that be vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Using protection can help reduce the risk quite considerably but do remember that even condoms are only 95% safe when it comes to STDs.


Symptoms are varied, ranging from penile discharge and a burning sensation when passing urine, to a mild rash or itching around the genitals. 60% of men will experience some form of symptoms if they have an STD but this means that the remaining 40% have little to no symptoms at all. This is why testing is important because it is the only way to be sure about your STD status.

Learn more about the STD symptoms in men – here

Learn more about penile discharge – here

Find out the risk of contracted Chlamydia – here


Most STDs can be picked with standard screening. For men this usually involves a urine and a blood test. Urine testing will cover STDs such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia while blood testing will help cover STDs such as syphilis.

In addition to these standard tests, swab tests may be used as well. Swabs can be used for the throat and anus to identify gonorrhoea and chlamydia while swabbing the lips and genitals can help identify herpes.


1) Blood sample


2) Swab


Urine sample


Treatment usually depends on diagnosis and confirmation with the above mentioned tests. However, if you are concerned or happen to experience symptoms that indicate an STD, broad cover treatment can start first. Antibiotics can be used for bacterial infections, while antiviral tablets may help with STDs such as herpes.

Follow up

Follow up is performed for one of two reasons. 1) If there is a positive result for one of the curable STDs then we will usually repeat the same test 2 weeks after treatment to ensure that it has been cured. 2) If the initial tests were negative but your symptoms are ongoing, we may choose to repeat a test again to ensure nothing was missed the first time around.

Incurable conditions such as Herpes and HIV will require a different follow up and this is discussed separately on a different article.

This article gives a brief overview on STD screening and treatment. For more detailed information please click on the link here for our full list of STD related articles.

Find out more on HIV Test on our previous blog post. here

Related Articles:

  1. HIV Testing (F.A.Q) – here
  2. Learn more about STD Symptoms:
    • STD Symptoms in Women – here
    • STD Symptoms in Men – here
    • STD Symptoms in Receptive Anal Sex – here
    • STD Symptoms in Receptive Oral Sex – here

For clinic operating hours, please drop us a message at call at the numbers below.

1) Dr. Tan & Partners (DTAP Clinic) @Somerset

Men’s Lifestyle Clinic

Orchard Building
#10-08, 1 Grange Road
Singapore 239693

+65 6262 0762


2.) Dr. Tan & Partners (DTAP Clinic) @Novena

Men’s Health & Sexual Health Clinic

Dr. Julian Ng is currently practising in Men’s Health & Sexual Clinic @Novena Medical Centre

Novena Medial Centre
#08-31, 10 Sinaran Drive
Singapore 307506

+65 6397 2095

3) Dr. Tan & Partners (DTAP Clinic) @Holland V

Men’s Health & Sexual Health Clinic

Dr. Julian Hong is currently practising in Men’s Health & Sexual Clinic @Holland V 

15B Lorong Liput
(Next to Holland Piazza)
Singapore 277730

+65 6235 1339

4.) Dr. Tan & Partners (DTAP Clinic) @Robertson

Men’s Health & Anonymous HIV Testing Clinic

Anonymous HIV Testing in Singapore:
(Don’t require any identification, such as passport, NRIC or contact details during registration. )

Dr Jonathon Ti is currently practising at @Robertson Branch

11 Unity Street
#02-07, Robertson Walk
Singapore 237995

+65 6238 7810

5) Dr. Tan & Partners (DTAP Clinic) @Raffles Place

Men’s Health & Sexual Health Clinic

Dr. Benjamin Loh is currently practising in Men’s Health & Sexual Clinic @Raffles Place

20 Cecil Street,
#02-01 PLUS
Singapore 049705

+65 6962 7144

6) Dr. Tan & Partners (DTAP Clinic) @Siglap

Men’s Health & Sexual Health Clinic

Dr. Edwin Ong is currently practising in Men’s Health & Sexual Clinic @Siglap 

914 East Coast Road
#01-04 The Domain,
Singapore 459108

+65 6962 2144

Or email us at or make an appointment at our clinics above today!mens Forum