Content certified by a professional doctor.
I know what you must be thinking: That is painful! But let me assure you that it is really not as painful as you think.
Injection into the penis (technically called Intra-Cavernosal Injections or ICI) is used by many people to treat their Erectile Dysfunction (ED). It is really easy to do and quite painless.
The really good thing about it is that it can be used in situations where tablets like Viagra do not work.
1. ED caused by nerve damage. So-called ‘Neurogenic’ ED. This can be caused by prostate surgery or injuries to the back.
2. If you are taking medicines for the heart called Nitrates you cannot take medicines like Viagra, Cialis or Levitra. Penile injections work very well for this.
How do these injections work?
The medicines cause the smooth muscles in the penis to relax. This allows more blood to flow freely into the penis and in that way create a good erection.
Learn more about Caverject
How do you do it?
It is really simple. Everything you need comes in a small box.
You mix up the medicine and inject it into the shaft of the penis. The needle used for injection is tiny. It is very easy to do and quite painless.
After the injection, you will get a good erection in about 15 minutes. The first time you get the medicine, your doctor will teach you how to do it and demonstrate one to you.
Injection Technique – Step by Step Guide
* This is not a substitute for your Doctor’s Advice.
- Open the box and you should find a syringe filled with a clear liquid, a vial of white powder, 1 long needle, 1 short needle, 2 alcohol swabs and 1 red plug.
- First, remove the rubber bung from the syringe.
- Attach the LONG needle to the syringe.
- Remove the plastic cap from the vial with the white powder.
- Open 1 alcohol swab and wipe the rubber bung on the vial (under the plastic cap you just removed).
- Carefully insert the needle with the syringe attached into the vial through the rubber bung you just wiped.
- Slowly and gently push down on the syringe’s plunger until all the clear liquid is in the vial.
- Gently swirl the vial until all the powder has dissolved. You should end up with a clear liquid. *If the liquid is cloudy after mixing, do not use it and return it to your doctor.
- Gently extract the liquid back into the syringe by pulling back on the plunger. Make sure the needle is at the bottom of the vial so that you can extract out all the liquid.
- Remove the syringe by detaching it from the needle. In this way, you are leaving the long needle in the vial.
- Attach the SHORT needle to the syringe.
- Hold the syringe upright and use your index finger to flick the side until the big air bubbles come to the top. DO not worry if you can still see small air bubbles usually stuck to the sides of the syringe.
- Gently push the plunger until the big air bubbles have been expelled.
- You are now ready to inject yourself.
- Most people inject while sitting down. Use your left hand to gently pull your penis forward.
- As you look down at your penis, the top midline is the 12 o’clock position.
- ** You only inject into the penis shaft between 1 and 5 o’clock OR 7 and 11 o’clock.
- Use the alcohol swab to wipe the area you want to inject.
- With a swift motion, insert the entire length of the needle into the shaft of the penis.
- Gently push on the plunger until all the medicine has gone in.
- Remove the needle also in 1 swift motion.
- Press onto the injection area with the alcohol swab for 1 minute. This reduces the risk of any bruising.
- Massage the penis to make sure the medicine is spread evenly.
- Place all the used equipment back into the box. Close the box and lock it by inserting the red plug into the hole on the cover of the box. You can then discard the box as usual trash.
What can go wrong?
If injected properly, this medicine is very safe.
As with all injections, it may cause some bruising which will fade in a few days.
Always follow the dose as instructed by your doctor. If you use too much of this medicine, you can get an erection that does not go away. This is called priapism. If you have an erection non-stop for more than 4 hours, you need to go to a hospital.
Keen to learn more or try this injection?